Earth month is all about learning to be “greener” and implementing new ways in to our lifestyle. Images of recycling symbols and the mantra “Reduce, Re-Use and Recycle” are blasted everywhere. But we cheapskates have been doing all of this before it was cool to be green because frankly, it saves us money, and we can see what impact that has on our resources.
So, if you are reading this article today to learn to be a little “greener” or if you are a fellow cheapskate looking for more ideas on how to re-use and re-purpose items you already own then you are in for a treat as I re-cap some of my favorite ways we have shared on Northern Cheapskate, and give you a few bonus ideas from my blog Save Green Being Green.
10 Easy Ways to Re-Use Like a Cheapskate
- Make Your Own Dryer Sheets – re-purpose an old pair of worn out flannel pajamas or other article of clothing.
- Cheap Food Storage Containers – re-use mason jars, food jars or make your own decorated canister.
- Re-Purpose Juice Lids into decorations, a child’s games, plant markers, or a dishwasher reminder magnet.
- How to Paint a Ceiling Fan - change the color if it doesn’t fit your redecorating rather than purchasing a new one by adding a coat of paint.
- Turn a Children’s Play House in to a Chicken Coop – there is a lot of work and money that go in to raising chicken but paying for their shelter doesn’t have to be one of them.
- Transform an Old Sweater in to a Monster Stuffie, a Pair of Mittens or some Wrist Warmers / Fingerless Gloves
- Make a Magnetic Bulletin Board from an Old Baking Pan – don’t throw it away just because it has gotten rusty or discolored, transform it!
- Make Your Own Firestarters – by using dryer lint and egg cartons and old candles; nothing goes to waste!
- Use an Old Yoga Mat to Catch Cat Litter - plus 12 other cleaver DIY uses for household items.
- Start Seeds Indoors on a Budget – make your own greenhouse seed starting containers.
Are you still looking for even more ideas? Then check out this list of ideas that were sent in by reader like you in this post of Readers Ideas of From Trash to Treasure. Or read this Northern Cheapskate post of 40 Ways to Live Greener Every Day.
Also, as promised a few BONUS ideas from Save Green Being Green:
- Turn Juice Lids in to Medals for kids and neighborhood block parties
- Reclaimed Wood and Twig Name Sign
- Puzzle Monster Magnets
Your Turn: What ideas can you share of how to re-use items?