There is no greater comfort food than the sweet, delicious goodness of homemade chocolate chip cookies.
Chocolate chip cookies make a great snack, dessert, or even a gift, and it’s rare to see someone resist eating one (or four!). This homemade chocolate chip cookies recipe is easy to make and makes a cookie that is crisp on the outside, tender inside, and sweet throughout.
Easy Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
This recipe is actually my Mom’s spin on the old faithful Nestle Toll House chocolate chip cookie recipe. I find that the slight variation from the original recipe gives it a unique flavor and texture that make these cookies extra tasty!
It’s so ingrained in me to always use the Nestle Toll House Semi-Sweet chocolate morsels, that I can’t bring myself to stray from them even when other brands are on sale. You can certainly use other kinds of morsels, but I can’t promise you the same results!
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (see note below)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon water
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups (12 oz. bag) Nestle Toll House Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
Note: It’s important to know that I don’t measure flour the “proper way” for this particular cookie recipe. I simply take my measuring cup, scoop it full of flour and level it off. Easy peasy! If you measure it the right way – by spooning the flour into the cup and then leveling it off, your cookies will stick so badly you will curse the day I was born.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Combine the flour, salt, and baking soda in a small bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the oil, granulated sugar, brown sugar, water, and vanilla until it is creamy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating them well after you add each of them.
- Gradually add the flour mixture and beat until completely mixed.
- Stir in the chocolate morsels. If the dough seems sticky, just put it in the fridge for 5 to 10 minutes to chill.
- Drop by rounded small spoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet. (My trusty Pampered Chef cookie scoop allows me to make 3 dozen uniformly-sized cookies)
- Bake in a 375ºF oven for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Allow them to cool for 2 minutes on the baking sheet before moving them to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
It’s best to take these cookies out a little earlier than later if you want them to be crispy on the outside and still soft and chewy inside. Remember, they do still cook for those 2 minutes when they’re out of the oven and they’re still on the baking sheet!
This adaptation of the Nestle Toll House recipe is our favorite way to make homemade chocolate chip cookies. Whenever I make these for my family or bring them to a potluck, they never last long.
About Christina Brown
Christina loves clipping coupons, pinching pennies, and chasing her three boys (a 9-year-old and twin 7-year-olds) as a stay-at-home mom.