One of my family’s favorite treats for breakfast or a snack is homemade banana bread.
My mom has used this easy homemade banana bread recipe for years, and now we have another generation of kiddos who ask for it often.
Easy Homemade Banana Bread Recipe
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup sour milk (just add 1 tsp of vinegar to the milk)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups flour
- 1 pinch of salt
- 3 crushed ripe bananas
- Cream together the shortening and sugar.
- Beat the eggs in a separate bowl and stir them into the shortening and sugar mixture.
- Combine the sour milk and baking soda. Add this to the mixture.
- Add the flour, salt, and crushed bananas to the mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture int o a greased and floured loaf pan.
- Bake in a 350 ° F oven for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the bread comes out clean.
Now, I know that shortening isn’t the healthiest food in the world. That’s what makes this recipe a special treat and not an everyday thing. If you’re worried about cooking with shortening, you could substitute unsalted butter instead.
It’s very simple to double this easy homemade banana bread recipe and the bread freezes well. So stock up on those bags of ripe bananas you see on sale and you’ll be able to make a tasty, economical treat!
About Christina Brown
Christina loves clipping coupons, pinching pennies, and chasing her three boys (a 10-year-old and twin 8-year-olds) as a stay-at-home mom.