I love serving breakfast for dinner, and a breakfast for dinner casserole is a great way to get dinner on a budget on the table fast.
Loaded with fresh veggies, eggs and sausage, this breakfast-for-dinner casserole that I found in All You magazine is one of my favorite recipes.
Breakfast for Dinner Casserole
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 lb bulk turkey or pork breakfast sausage, casings removed.
- 1-1/2 cups chopped, lightly packed fresh spinach
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 cub milk
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 325ºF. Spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Saute the onions and peppers until tender. Add the sausage, stirring to break up meat, and cook until brown. Add the spinach and stir until it’s wilted.
- In a medium bowl, wisk eggs, milk, salt and pepper until blended. Spread the sausage mixture in your 9×13 baking pan and pour the egg mixture over it. Sprinkle cheddar cheese on the top.
- Bake the casserole for 20 to 25 minutes until the eggs are no longer runny and the cheese is melted.
- Serve with fresh fruit and toast. Serves 6.
I’ve found that when you buy the ingredients on sale, this is an inexpensive meal for the family.
I typically buy 1-pound chubs of sausage when I can find them for cheap and throw them in the freezer. When I make the casserole, I double up on the veggies and meat mixture. Then I use half to make the casserole for the evening dinner and I freeze the remaining veggies and sausage. When I need a quick breakfast or dinner, I simply thaw the veggies and sausage and whip up the egg mixture to pour over it. This is a huge time saver and a great way to make part of the casserole in advance while still giving it a fresh taste.
This breakfast for dinner casserole would also make a great make ahead breakfast casserole and the bright red and green veggies make this a tasty Christmas breakfast casserole, too.
Note: This post contains affiliate links that help support this site at no additional cost to you. Please read our full disclosure policy for more info.