I’m going to confess something. Before I was frugal, I used to toss my vinyl shower curtain liners when they got yucky with soap scum and mildew.
Even if I spent top dollar on a mildew-resistant, PEVA, non-toxic shower curtain, I still tossed it when it got gross.
I’m happy to say I’ve changed my ways and saved some cash!
It turns out it’s really easy to clean a vinyl shower curtain liner.
- Simply remove the shower curtain liner from the shower rod and take off the shower curtain rings.
- Toss the vinyl shower curtain in the washing machine with an old towel.
- Fill the fabric softener dispenser with a cup of white vinegar.
- Add a tiny amount of laundry detergent to the soap dispenser.
- Wash on gentle cycle. (This is exteremly important if you don’t want your shower curtain liner to get shredded!)
- Hang the clean shower curtain liner to dry.
Voila! Clean shower curtain liner! I’ve found you can get numerous washings out of a single vinyl shower curtain. When it’s time to retire the shower curtain liner, save it to use as a drop cloth for painting and craft projects.