My oldest boy is starting Kindergarten and he wants to bring lunch from home.
I’m already starting to realize that there are many pitfalls to packing an affordable, healthy lunch for kids. All those single-serve snacks and drinks come with a spendy price tag. And don’t even get me started about sandwich baggies.
So I’m working on ways to trim the cost of school lunches. Here are a few ideas I have:
- Watch the sales and match those sales with store and manufacturer coupons. (That’s just smart no matter who or what you’re shopping for!)
- Buy in bulk and package individual servings in zip-top bags (which I’ll reuse if they make it home from school) or use reusable containers.
- Use reusable water bottles for beverages.
- Send homemade treats with lunch instead of store-bought cookies.
- Send fruit and vegetables to munch on that are in season.
- If I don’t have coupons for something, buy the store brand.
- Check out the warehouse store prices to see if there are any deals there.
Now I’d like your help! To all of you who are seasoned lunch packers: What are some things you do to save on school lunches? Have you found that hot lunch is a better deal? Please share your tips and experiences!