This giveaway is now closed. See who won here.
I think spring cleaning is a bit of a double-edged sword. On one hand, it means that spring is here… which is a big deal for those of us who have 8 or 9 months of winter. On the other hand, it still means we have to clean.
I’ve yet to get into the frugal habit of making my own household cleaners. I usually buy what I can get for cheap with coupons. Even though those options aren’t always the most environmentally friendly choices, I’ve been trying to “green” up my cleaning routine by using more microfiber cleaning cloths and less paper towels.
I recently got a chance to try the Just Add Water System, and I was impressed. The JAWS system works a bit like the idea of juice concentrate. You buy the empty sprayer bottle, fill it with water, and then add the super-concentrated cleaner to the bottle.
When you’re done with the cleaner, you can reuse the bottle simply by adding more water and a concentrated cleaner refill. The bottle is designed to be refilled at least 26 times.
The end result is that you get a great household cleaner with less impact on the environment.
Here are some of the things I liked about the Just Add Water System:
- Easy to use. Just fill the reusable bottle to the fill line, drop the cartridge into the neck of the bottle and screw on the sprayer. The concentrated cleaner mixes with the water and you’re ready to go.
- Environmental impact. According to the makers of JAWS, JAWS cleaners use 70% less packaging material, leave 59% less packaging waste, require 59% less energy to transport, reduce water pollutants by 85%, and greenhouse gas emissions by 60%. I like that.
- Color coded. I like that each type of cleaner is a different color. It helps me to remember what cleaner should be used for each job. Of course, there’s also this handy chart if you forget.
- Reduces clutter. My cleaning cupboard is not cluttered with lots of bottles. The refills take up such a tiny amount of space and I love that I’ve got more room on my shelves.
- Good value. If you’re not the type to to make your own homemade cleaners, this is an affordable option (around $4-5 for a bottle and two refill cartridges) and the cleaners smell nice and do a good job of cutting through dirt and grime. Most conventional household cleaners are made up of mostly water. Why pay for water when you can use your own and save 30 to 50% on the cost of your cleaners?
If I had any complaints about the product, it’s that they don’t list the ingredients on the bottle. I like to know what’s in the products I’m using… even if I can’t pronounce half of the things on the ingredient list. JAWS doesn’t claim their products contain all natural ingredients – only that their formulas are non-toxic and that their system can have a positive impact on the environment. In the future, I’d love to see JAWS add some natural cleaners to their product line-up.
If you’re like me and don’t take the time to make your own cleaners, the Just Add Water System is a great alternative to conventional household cleaners. They work well, smell nice, and because you’re using significantly less packaging, are environmentally friendly.
Want to try the Just Add Water System for Yourself?
I’m giving one lucky reader the opportunity to win a sample line of the Just Add Water System, which includes the Glass & Hard Surface Cleaner, Multi-Purpose Cleaner/Degreaser, Bathroom Cleaner/Deodorizer and Disinfectant Cleaner/Degreaser.
To enter this giveaway, please fill out the form below:
[iframe: src=”https://spreadsheets.google.com/embeddedform?formkey=dERZYWFvb0pUcGV5TU96N0xRMm9sWlE6MQ” width=”630″ height=”450″ frameborder=”0″ marginheight=”0″ marginwidth=”0″]
If you’re reading this post in an e-mail or a feed reader and can’t see the form, please click here to enter.
This giveaway is open to all US residents ages 18 and older and will end at 9 p.m. CST on Sunday, March 20, 2011. Only one entry per person allowed. The information I collect in this giveaway will only be used to contact you if you are a winner and will never be shared or sold.
I will randomly select a winner from all of the entries received. Winner will be notified by e-mail and announced here at Northern Cheapskate. The winner will have 48 hours to respond or I’ll draw a new winner.
While you’re welcome to comment on this post, please note that comments are not considered a valid entry. You must fill out the form to enter!
Disclosure: Just Add Water System (JAWS) gave me samples of this product as well as a set of samples to give away. I was not compensated in any other way for this post. The opinions expressed here are my own, honest thoughts on the product. Please read my full disclosure policy for more information.