There is no part of me… other than my anatomy… that would let you know that I am a girl.
I’m one of the least girly-girls I know. I can’t stand dresses or skirts (or anything frilly for that matter), I don’t wear make-up, and a pedicure sounds like something that should be dipped in chocolate and served with tea.
I’ve been this way since I played with my Tonka trucks in the sandbox as a kid. I was so grateful that I had three boys because I don’t know how to make french braids or even properly apply eye shadow.
The good thing about not being a girly-girl is that it never takes me more than 10 minutes to get ready to go anywhere.
The great thing about not being a girly-girl is that it is one of the most frugal things you can do!
Consider the perks of being low-maintenance:
1) I save thousands of dollars a year on make-up alone. I will admit I have one ancient tube of concealer (bought with coupons!) that I keep just in case I have a super unsightly zit that my self-esteem alone can’t hide, but that’s it. I have no beauty regimen other than to get clean!
2) Haircuts are simple affairs. While I do have my hair professionally cut, I only get it done about every 8 weeks. I trim my own bangs in between cuts so that I can go a little longer. I save a fortune because I never highlight, color, or perm my hair.
3) Got a tough task or a grubby project to tackle? Count me in because I don’t have to worry about my nails!
4) It’s easy to mix and match things in my wardrobe. My wardrobe is simple and has not changed much since 2000. Most of my clothes were given to me for my birthday, bought with gift cards earned through various bloggy deals, or bought for pennies at my local thrift shop. I have three pairs of shoes and two purses that I rotate depending on the season and what I’m wearing.
5) I save a lot of money on personal care items. I don’t have any brand loyalties whatsover… and in many cases the store brands suit me just fine. Who needs expensive salon brands or fancy smelly lotions and whatnot?
The key to thriving as a non girly-girl is to be content with who you are, happy with how you look in the mirror, and to not care what anyone else thinks about you.
Hmmm… sounds like many of the same characteristics you need to be frugal, too!